Keith’s Farewell Message
by Keith Maderer, Club Growth Director
We had a lot of fun this year.
I met so many new Toastmasters from all over the District… and the World.
The one thing that I have found to be true about individuals that gravitate toward and join a Toastmasters club is that they are all working on improving themselves.
- They are above average intelligence.
- They know that communication is critical in life, family and work.
- They inspire others with their inner strength.
- They step up when others step aside.
- They find answers when others are still asking the questions.
- They find solutions to obstacles that get in the way.
- They challenge themselves to do better, to grow, to laugh and to fail.
- They build bridges that take them over or around obstructions.
- They encourage others to step outside that comfort zone.
- They gently nudge when a push would be too much.
- They lead… when an example will make a difference.
- They find greatness where others see ordinary.
- They find commonality when others try to separate.
- They find gratitude in the simplest of deeds.
- They make others better… by being present.
If you are reading this… You have inspired me.
You have inspired another member.
You have inspired a friend, co-worker, family member or a guest.
You can… and do… make a difference.
That is what this year has taught me.
Being a member of our District Executive TRIO is a lot of work, more than even I anticipated. But to do it right, it takes commitment, effort and cooperation.
I want to thank all of you for your support. Our Division/Area Directors and our new Marketing Committee members filled all the holes in the wall of success.
I want to thank Julie Ricchiazzi, Roger Morehouse and Sam Mehta for all their guidance, wisdom and insight. And Lillian Knight Faison for making me smile, keeping it real and showing me how to… “go with the flow”.
I especially want to thank Ellen Pieklo, our District Director who knew the in’s and out’s and guided our team through some incredible challenges. You may not even know those obstacles existed, because she handled them without hesitation… and with a smile.
This year was a huge success. It may not end up as spectacular as we would have liked, but we made some incredible gains that will hopefully carry forward for many years to come.
Most importantly… Ellen, Lillian and I had fun.
We laughed in the face of adversity. We rallied around each other when the going got tough…. And we smiled when even a small success… became a reality. We spent countless hours listening to members, making adjustments and finding solutions.
- I will not miss the massive amounts of email.
- I will not miss the long hours on the phone.
- I will not miss the long hours on Join.me video conferences.
- I will not miss the long hours on the road….
But I will miss you… our members.
Your smiles, your laughter, your stories, your struggles and your achievements made it all worthwhile.
Keith Maderer, DTM
District 65 – Club Growth Director 2017-2018