Great day, one and all! I apologize for the delay but I have been feverishly trying to nail down details for you regarding this year’s Premier Event!
First of all, as you know this year we will be running THREE contests. With the changes to the format of conferences and contests throughout Toastmasters International, we were left with a logistics challenge. Any contest that is held beyond the club level, must advance to the district level. (Next year, this will all be less confusing – TRUST me!) So, here goes…
Location: Holiday Inn Auburn-Fingerlakes
Friday, May 3rd
- (UPDATED TIME) 3:30pm | Registration begins
- 6:15-6:45pm | Humorous Speech Contest Briefings
- 6:45 | Contest Doors Open
- 7:00-8:30pm | Humorous Speech Contest
- NEW!!! 8:30-10:00pm | Meet & Greet Reception and “Talent or No Talent” Show
Saturday, May 4th
- 7:00am-1:30pm | Registration continues and Credentials
- 7:00-8:00am | Breakfast Buffet and Welcome
- 8:00-8:45am | KEYNOTE: Paul Artale “Hit Hard: 3 Must-Have Mindsets to (Re) Design Your Life”
- 9:00-9:45am | Panel/Workshop: Pathways Best Practices
- 10:00-10:45 | WORKSHOPS (Choose 1 of 3, more on these below!)
- 11:00-11:45am | Keynote Workshop: Paul Artale “Unleash Your Message…”
- 12:00-1:30pm | Luncheon Buffet and Communication & Leadership Award Ceremony
- 1:45-3:45pm | District Business Meeting
- 3:45-4:15pm | International Speech Contest Briefings
- 4:15-6:00pm | International Speech Contest
- 6:00-7:00pm | Social Hour
- 7:00-9:30pm | Banquet: Awards and Celebration
Sunday, May 5th
- 7:30-8:30am | Breakfast Buffet
- 8:15-9:00am | Evaluation Speech Contest Briefings
- 9:00-11:00am | Evaluation Speech Contest
- 11:00am | Conference ends
- 11:30am-1:30pm | DEC Officers Meeting and Lunch
About the Workshops…
You already heard about our awesome Keynote Speaker, Paul Artale – but we are also bringing you some exciting workshops on Saturday morning. First off, we will have a highly anticipated Panel Discussion and Workshop to discuss Pathways Best Practices. There will be a moderator and five-panel members to answer some of your most frequently asked questions regarding Pathways.
In addition, you can choose between one of the three workshops listed below:
“Connecting Values to Action with the ACT Matrix” by Hadassah Mativetsky
Come ready to clarify what is important to you and better understand the inner critic that holds you back. As part of her study of pro-social (as opposed to anti-social) behavior, Hadassah learned an Acceptance and Commitment Training (ACT) tool called the ACT Matrix. The tool helps guide reflection on our thoughts, feelings and values and behaviors that express them. This tool can be used by an individual or by a group. In this session, Hadassah will guide attendees through the start of their personal “Matrix” and then discuss how the tool can be used by groups with particular focus on its use in conjunction with creating a Club Success Plan.
“What Everyone Else Hears” by Jason Becker
Good Leaders are Great Listeners! When other people talk, are you listening? Do you hear what they say? Are you thinking of your response already? As humans, we can hear up to 250 words per minute and think at a rate of four times that. Listening is a more active skill than some may think. Effective listening requires certain techniques to achieve success. Want to learn them? This Effective Listening Workshop involves a short discussion on the basic elements of active listening, followed by an interactive scenario with up to 52 participants after which participants will share their experiences.
“Advanced Speech Evaluation Techniques” by Jared Kronenberg
Like Leadership, public speaking is a skill that can be developed and improved. The heart of the Toastmasters educational program involves peer feedback, both giving and receiving it in a positive, supportive environment. Whether new to providing speech evaluations or a veteran, all Toastmasters can improve the manner in which we provide constructive feedback, starting with how we think about the process. Workshop attendees will discuss different lenses by which to approach this process and techniques used. During our interactive portion, attendees will practice these techniques through one-on-one exercises and video evaluations. Participants will receive materials that can be taken back to their clubs and used to improve the speech evaluation skills of all club members.
And finally, our Keynote speaker, Paul Artale will be conducting a Workshop:
What story do you need to tell the world? Is it inspirational? Is it informative? Most importantly, how will it leave a lasting impact. As a presentation coach to keynote speakers, professors, intellectual speakers (TED-style talks, Ignite, Pecha Kucha, etc.) and Toastmasters Speech Competition Champions, Paul Artale’s Unleash Your Message will show you the essential structures, techniques, and processes that will make your stories create lasting impact. This workshop will show you both the science and the soul of public speaking. The best stories are inside you. Attend this workshop to unleash them on the world so that you can change lives.
As you can see, we have packed the conference FULL of valuable information and activities. If you have not already done so – please go back to our home page and REGISTER!
Go ahead, be the SPARK!
See you soon!!